Tuesday 18 January 2011

So busy!

I'd forgotten how much work needs to be put in when you move. Not just the unpacking and finding space for everything but the phone calls and details changes.

Today I have:

Set up my registration with the GP's
Got an eye test booked for Thursday
Changed my blood, bone marrow and organ donor details
Gotten pet mince
Gotten meat supplies
Taken the house in Portsmouth off the rental and sales markets

And I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

I also got a second concertina airer so we can dry a full load of laundry in one go. Said laundry is almost done.

The doglet has finally settled and is happy to be with us still. We went to the RSPCA in Halifax to get her annual boosters and health check done, the vet was happy with her which made me happy. We popped into the local vet on the way back, just to get a positive experience for the doglet and to discuss things. Turns out the fleas here are immune to Frontline so I need to bring that up when I go to get Madam's flea and worm stuff next.

Yesterday was exhausting! The train journey was an hour, combine that with a 30 minute walk to the station, 10 minute walk to the RSPCA and repeat in reverse I could probably cope but silly little me went shopping too! On the plus side I got to catch up with Alison and have a very nice lunch in the Sainsbury's cafe while the doglet slept in the car but have you ever tried carrying a food waste caddy full of:
* 2 packs fo Fru and 1 pack of Gu puddings (6 glass ramkins!)
* 250g peanut butter in glass jar
* 1 Glass jar of Clipper hot chocolate
in one hand, holding the leash of a traffic-phobic dog and carrying a bag with a 3l bottle of squash over the other shoulder? Suddenly that 30 minute walk is far more exhausting. Still, it meant I have puds for a few days, hubbie has squash and the doglet doesn't need to go into town for 6 months.

Today's shopping was good, the butcher in the market is fantastic and very reasonably priced, 20lbs of pet mince was £11.64 a little over what the butcher in Tod charged but not so much we can't afford it, I can also set up a regular service with them so we won't go short. They come in 2lb bags which, while easy to store in the huge freezer we now possess, are a tad difficult to feed madam with, still, it does mean I only have to get one out every other day.

I'd forgotten how useful having a Wilko's is!

Last week I went on a walk with the doglet to get some things, mainly recycling bins but we also got a second back door key cut. It took a few wrong turns and finding someone employed by the Council to find the recycling bin place but once I did that was good, arranged to get the bins delivered and got some food waste bags, they don't do the smaller kitchen caddy here, they expect you to keep the big one in the kitchen, hence buying one yesterday. On the way back we made a wonderful discovery, a cash and carry that stocks mainly Indian food supplies, I got a 1kg bag of Turmeric for just £2.99 So that sorts the bulk of our herb/spice supplies. There's a stall in the market for yeast, we've found an online company for eggs and milk (both organic) and yoghurt, meat and veg from town, pet mince from town.

Still to source is:
Squash (probably Sainsbury's)
Tinned tomatoes
Tinned sweetcorn
OJ
Ferret litter
Probably some other bits I've forgotten.

For the litter it may very well be plausible to borrow someone with a car, pay for their fuel and get 6 bags from Tod market every 6 months or so. I shall have to pop up to the pet stall in the market here and check Wilko's.

My knitting mojo is back enough to knit, I've started a baby item infact, a free pattern from DROPS design, it's a santa coloured snuggle suit thing, I'm adjusting certain sections and doing it all in white. I fear though that I've chosen something for a 1yo but we shall see. My hormones aren't up to filling the suit yet but as it'll take me quite a while to knit a baby wardrobe we shall see...

The ferrets are testing me and the dog a lot. You see, in Portsmouth I used a combination of doggy gate and some firm mesh and a piece of wood to contain them, the piece of wood slotted between the laminate and the doorway so couldn't be moved. Here there's no laminate! Rumble usually does the escape but today it was Nushu, so once I had her safely out of doggy reach I went and put the furballs to bed. Need to take the drill down and put another hole in the wood so I can cable tie it to the mesh and stop future escapes. They do enjoy their cellar though, lots of room to romp and flags to wear claws down. They've also found some joins between flags that are good to dig in and I don't mind. Don't think I'll be able to make the yard ferret-proof so I'm glad they're happy. if I can get a job that pays well enough I might even be able to buy them some more tubes and toys. Alternatively, we do have 70 or so packing boxes, hmmmmm.

The fish are doing okay, not perfect yet, the stress of moving and the new water (treated with chlorine remover) has claimed two mollies but the rest are fine. I need to start finding homes for the babies though! Some are big enough to be fine away from here and my 2' tank is looking rather crowded.

The spare room is very very nearly sorted, just two bin liners of cuddlies to find a place for and it's done. Currently it's also the laundry room, it's the only floorspace we have big enough to put two airers and bars between them then leave.

Thinking of laundry, I can procrastinate no more, it must be put out if hubbie is to have boxers tomorrow.

Later peeps, maybe even some photos soon,

Fluzz

No comments: